Gaunless (Lands) Viaduct

At a cost of £15,422, the prolific Thomas Bouch created another great viaduct - a 161 feet high, 640 feet span of the River Gaunless at Lands - which opened on 1st August 1863. Although it was built for double-track, when engineers came to install a second line in 1899, they found that the steelwork had decayed so badly that it had to be replaced. Two years after closure, the girders were removed once and for all. In 1966, the brick columns were dynamited and still lay collapsed across the fell.

Change page
Previous gallery Next gallery
Gallery thumbnails Location map from Streetmap
Page history
July 08

Back to the top