(Photo 9 © Robert Anderson)
Thornton Viaduct opened in 1878 as part of the Great Northern's route from Queensbury to Keighley - arguably, the most engineered section of railway in West Yorkshire.
It is Grade II listed, incorporates 20 barrel vaulted arches - each with a span of 40 feet - and its 300 yard length incorporates a rare S-shaped curve. The old trackbed crosses Pinch Beck at a height of 120 feet. The structure is formed of 17,000 cubic yards of masonry as well as 750,000 bricks.
In November 2008, Thornton Viaduct became part of the Great Northern Railway Trail which ultimately aims to create a foot and cycle path linking Queensbury and Cullingworth, mostly on the old trackbed.
Click here to read the story of Thornton Viaduct's reopening as part of the Great Northern Railway Trail.