(Photos 1-5 © Ian Jolly, photos 6-8 © Keffa)
Brymbo (aka Brake) Tunnel was closed in 1862 - not long after it had opened - when a 'normal' gradient line was extended down the valley from the Broughton Hall Ironworks, thus avoiding a rope worked incline of 1 in 3.5. A chapel was built over the trackbed near the tunnel entrance in 1885.
The 266-yard Summerhill Tunnel is buried at its eastern end. Structurally, it's in very poor condition. Sections of roof have parted company and there is considerable bulging of the walls. A complete collapse must surely occur soon.